Tuesday, February 24, 2015

From Brian Zarbock- a student of Jim's

Hello, my name is Brian Zarbock and I graduated from UNCC with an English degree last year. I went to the school website last night for a transcript request and ended up on the English Department website. That was the first time I heard about Dr. Jim McGavran and spent up until now reading about him, some of his writings, the memories people have shared on the memorial website and finally the emails, lecture notes and writing feedback  I had archived in my account from when I enrolled in his Romantic Era Literature Class. 

I first wanted to offer my condolences to you and the English department. I was amazed when I read he had been teaching English for forty years. I cannot imagine how I would feel after knowing someone that long and they are just gone one day. 

I also wanted to thank all of you for the memorial site; Dr. McGavran meant a great deal to me, when I found out last night I just panicked that I never thanked him for the time he set aside for me. Reading those posts showed me he was surrounded by life long friends and people that appreciated him.

Finally I have moved from North Carolina to California since graduating and I saw there was an event in his honor on Friday on campus. If there are any pictures taken at the event or anything similar I appreciate knowing where to look. I hope all is well with you guys and thanks for everything you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment